Thursday, January 3, 2013

My adventure in making lasagna from scratch

So, I had these grandiose plans to get in my craft room and get through a bunch of stuff and get it on the road to organization. Needless to say, that didn't happen. I paid some bills, surfed to find some more digital scrapbook elements/paper/etc. then I watched a couple movies. (dang the tv sucked my day away!!!)


At least, I was able to make lasagna from scratch.

I sort of improvised the recipe based on a bunch I have found...

1 32 oz package of ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

- Mix them together and set aside

1 pound ground turkey
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped onions
salt, pepper, oregano
Worcestershire sauce

- Brown the meat and add garlic, chopped onions, Worcestershire sauce, season to taste

1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped onions
salt, pepper, oregano, parsley

- simmer together, add garlic and chopped onions and season to taste

- Once the meat was browned, I added it to the spaghetti sauce/tomato mixture and simmered for another 20 minutes or so.

1 package lasagna noodles
olive oil

- drizzle olive oil in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole
- spread a small amount of meat/tomato sauce across the bottom of the casserole
- lay down 3-4 lasagna noodles (no they aren't cooked) to make a layer
- spoon more meat/tomato sauce to cover noodles
- spoon cheese mixture to cover meat/tomato sauce
- lay down 3-4 lasagna noodles
- spoon more meat/tomato sauce to cover noodles
- spoon remaining cheese mixture to cover meat/tomato sauce
- add another layer of noodles
- spoon remaining meat/tomato sauce across the top to cover
- sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top
- take a spatula and create a bit of a moat around the lasagna (about 1/4 inch) away from the edge of the pan
- pour a bit of water in the newly created "moat" to allow the edges of the top noodles to have liquid touching them.
- cover with foil
- cook for 45 minutes at 350 degrees
- remove foil
- cook for an additional 10-12 minutes
- remove and set for about 5-10 minutes
- cut and serve





Well, I would say it went well since my family had seconds and some thirds... ;) but who's counting?

Til next time...

P.S. The Sky Scarf color of the day according to what I saw when I looked out was light gray.

No comments: